Monday, September 10, 2012

family vacation 101


I find myself saying every year after our family vacation at the beach, "This was our best family vacation so far!"  I think it might have to do with the fact that each year we learn a little something from the last.  We stopped caring about having a bed for everyone and realized kids are just as happy to all pile in on the floor.  We've split up dinner nights, so each family is only responsible for dinner one night and get to just enjoy a delicious meal every other night.  We plan family baseball games, card games and board games.  We make family t-shirts and, this year (most of us) attempted to do cross-fit together.  And, of course, the ocean and beach are right there to provide their own entertainment.  I love all being together at the beach for that one whole week.  No one scooting off to jobs or school or camps.  Everyone all together for this one time a year is so important to me.  We celebrate birthdays (and even baptisms).  The kids plan lemonade stands and spend hours out at the lifeguard tower.  There are sleepovers and late nights and early morning walks for coffee and donuts.  And long beautiful days and evenings at the beach.  I thought it would be fun to share a couple of the things we added this year for anyone trying to plan a big family vacation or reunion.  Also, I like looking back at the memories...  So, over the next few days I thought I'd look back to this summer's family t-shirts, attempts at a family photo, our first annual talent show and our family olympics.  And, perhaps, I could get even more suggestions for what has worked for all of you in planning large family vacations.  And then next year I can proudly say, "No, this year was even better than the last!"


2 comments:

AndeM1 said...

I can't wait to see your tips.....we have had 2 family reunions (in the past 4 years) with about 35 of us....babies to not..... we are knee deep in planning our next in June at Tybee Island. Ga. I'm ready....tip away!

Karen said...

I love seeing your beach pictures every year as we spend July in Newport Beach, also. We have the whole family there for about 10 days. Every year I say I am going to do the T Shirts, and every year I don't get them done. And I only have 8 grandkids to do. Can't wait to see the rest of your pictures!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Location